Table of Contents
Updated by Billy Dowell
Intro to Survey Studies
Ready to send out some surveys?
Let's get you started and get those questions ready to send out!
First things first, you have to draft a study and get it ready to publish.
Create the Study
- Click New study at the top of the left sidebar menu. *Or click Studies on the left sidebar menu and click the New study button in the top right-hand corner.
- Select Survey.
- Name your study, change the Share URL if you want to customize it, use the dropdown to select an owner, and click Continue.
Set the Plan
- Set the number of people you want to talk to.
- Provide an estimated amount of time the participant should expect to spend on the study.
- Leave the incentive box checked if you want to offer an incentive. If not, uncheck that box.
- Checking and unchecking the box does add or remove a tab called Incentives. More on incentives here.
- Choose your language.
- Click Next.
Create the Survey questions
- Start by typing up your first question.
- Decide the type of answers and create the answers. *Example: “Do you like donuts?” would be a Yes/No question. “What type of donuts do you like?” could be Multi Select, where answers would need to be typed out, or could be Short Text, which allows the participant to type their answer.
- Decide if you want the question to be required, to prevent the participant from skipping the question.
- Click Attribute and select/create an attribute if you want their reply to be created as an attribute value.
- To duplicate the question, click on the duplicate icon next to Required.
- To add more questions, click on the + under the first/previous question.
- Add any skip logic that you want to use in order to determine what questions the participant sees based on a previous answer.
- Question templates can also be viewed and used by clicking on the templates icon in the top right corner, just under the Publish tab (depending on screen size).
Set the Incentives
- Select what type of incentive you want to provide. The default is Money or gift card.
- Edit the details of the incentive.
- For Money or gift card: Set the amount you want to provide per participant, and then select the currency from the dropdown. Then, decide if you want the payout to be through Great Question, or if you want to process the payouts through other means.
- For Coupon code, Product gift, and Other: Add a title, code (for coupons), and redemption instructions.
- Review incentive details and click Next.
- Review and edit your Landing Page and Participation invites.
- If changes are needed, click on Edit for each asset and make the changes. Then click Save.
- To preview the assets for participants, click on Preview for each asset.
- Once things look good, click Next.
Time to Publish
- Review the details of your study. You should see all green checkmarks.
- If you used incentives and did not use Money or gift card, the Incentives step can be ignored.
- If a step does not have a green checkmark, click on the edit icon to go back to that step's page and make the required updates.
- Once everything is all green, click I'm ready to publish.
- If you are funding your incentives through Great Question, you will be prompted to select a funding method and add funds.
- Done! Study Published! 🙌
Post Publish Features
Once your study has been published, you will see a few more features to review.
To make notes and recording research findings about your study, you can use the Overview tab.
- Changes are automatically saved.
This is where you will be able to add candidates to your shortlist, manage your participants, and track their progress.
- The Participants tab is your default landing space when opening a study, but you can also get back to it by clicking on Participants.
- To start, you can add candidates to your shortlist via the three options that are shown.
- The sub-tabs you see indicate what stage the participant is at.
- Possible options are: Shortlisted, Invited, Completed, Started, and Removed.
- Removed shows only when a participant has been removed.
Review your study's email stats and performance. More information on this feature in our Recruitment Email Statistics guide.
Similar to the plan during the drafting phase above.
- Offer an incentive is the only option that cannot be changed once invitations have been sent to participants.
If you need to review or edit your survey, you can make any changes in the Survey tab.
To make edits, just start making changes as needed. All changes are saved automatically and noted by a green popup.
There are sub-tabs here as well, based on a couple of things:
- Possible options are: (* notes default options shown)
- Questions*: houses all screener questions
- Summary*: results of participants responses
- Individual: individual participant responses (shown as participants submit screeners)
Incentives (if used)
Incentives can be edited here until invites have been sent. Once invites are sent, you can no longer edit the incentive.
There are a few more emails listed here, that are not shown in the drafting phase.
You'll want to review these emails as well. Updates to the study email templates does not change the templates that are saved in the Email templates page.
Similar to the Review Assets step above, you can review and edit your landing and scheduling pages.
The Settings tab houses quite a few features that you may want to review.
Possible sub-tabs are:
- Notifications: review the different notification options that you would like to receive via email
- Some notifications only show depending on enabled settings, such as incentives and screeners.
- Automation: review the different options that you want to automatically happen, such as sending a reminder for a participant to complete their task.
- Legal: apply a custom consent form to your study.
- If you see one already in use, there is a default consent form set by an account admin that is recommended for use for your company.
Please reach out to us in the chat or at [email protected]!